Monday, November 3, 2008

assign | three





Unlike the 4 different houses in my previous assignment, this one is completely unprecedented in design.

But being said so, some concepts however were brought forward to further reiterate the window man.

Throwing away moving parts in my design (movement path occupied too much space), I maximized the floor area, nearly breaching its capacity. The idea was also to imagine yourself being trapped in the air gap between a huge double glazed window.

At this moment in life, I'm leaning towards minimalism. Nothing spectacular, I know. This is deliberate for my character to draw attention on everything else except the building. An attempt to create a wall of volatile paintings. To expose the user to the exterior as well as to make the surroundings known to the user.

He's a man of integrity. What you see is what he is. Nothing to hide.

The level of exposure was taken into considerations, especially private spaces.

I've started off being highly inspired by the Loducca headquarter by Triptyque.


I was going along the line of a huge shoe box with large windows. And it seems like many people are going the same direction, but it doesn't really matter, does it?

I've did some preliminary facade sketches, a few iterations to begin with. Gradually from brain to sketch book, I came out with the following.









Besides, I have a neighbour who's very near. I mean, very. | superintendent(construction superviser)

We decided to amalgamate our site, specifically to define the corner.

Initial idea was to create a dark alley between the 2 dwellings (just because we saw an example in a book which we thought was fantastic), but soon we noticed our characters have different extremes in personality, in which the dark alley appears to be a clash between them.

Briefly speaking, the result was a V-shaped building, with the tip of the "v" pointing the corner of the site.

But we have a problem. Due to my neighbour's persistence to have a empty garden, we faced the issue of private/public space definition. Hence, we agreed to both lower our site down by half a meter and with ramps going down.


Over the week, I've made some changes.
Sean said choose a better tree, which I thought my previous one was quite hideous. and so I did.
I also added different materials to the floors which instantly defined the space better.



The sustainabilty of the house has put into considerations nevertheless. Louvres in the middle part of the building releases the hot air out, maintaining a good air flow. The house will be equipped with high performance glass throughout to further minimize heat gain due to large openings.

My end product looks something like this.



No comments: